Sunday, April 25, 2010

La Vita e Bella- Venice for Easter

Once again, what is there to say? Venice is well... Venice. A city afloat. A place of magic. Very, very expensive.


The streets, having been built both when people were about 2 feet tall (no, not really JMB) and when there weren't any cars (not that cars are allowed in Venice today either), are very very small. Trash-compactor-closing-in-scene-from-Star-Wars-small. So... photo! :)

The gondola drivers do literally sing Italian songs and dress in striped shirts. Even though I know it's all an act, I'm OK with it. It's awesome. Word on the street is that if you flirt a little bit you can get the gondola driver to cut his price in half... but flirting on Easter Sunday just felt wrong somehow.


The classic sitting-on-a-bridge-in-Venice photo. No Italy collection is complete without one!


The equally obligatory falling-in-the-water shot. Is it just me, or is that water not quite a normal color?


Fantabulous. On the waterfront near the Doge's palace and St. Mark's.


St. Mark's was absolutely breathtaking. Being a Medieval church, it was a nice break from the other cathedrals we've seen, which were mostly enormous and white stone with stained glass. In contrast, the entire interior of St. Mark's is covered in mosaics. As I tried but epically failed to capture below, if you look in from the choir loft (aka up high), the entire basilica literally glows in the candlelight. Not even to mention the tessalations and 3D tilework on the floor, the icons, the sculptures... it really was fantastic. And if you're ever there, pay the extra 4 euro to see the balcony. It's pretty sweet.


I'm sure some of you will be scandalized by the following sacrilege, but c'mon... God has a sense of humor... ;)


Well, that's all for our Italian dream vacation. What can I say- great food, great sights, great travel buddy! We did everything from go to Confession in St. Peter's to try on masks in Venice, and ate lots of pizza in between. It was a wonderful experience, and not even the (mostly crummy) weather could dampen our mood! So, I guess there's only one thing left to say...


No comments:

Post a Comment