Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Lesson from Spain: 5 Things I Could Live Happily Without

One of the coolest parts of studying abroad is, of course, getting to live another lifestyle for an extended piece of time. While Spain admittedly isn't that different from the US, there are several ways that Spain is far more eco-friendly than we tend to be. And honestly, after 4 months, I can assert that all of these changes would be more or less painless, once you got used to them. I'm not on the band wagon saying that the human race needs to eliminate itself to save the planet. But I am saying that we'd better pay closer attention to our consumption patterns if we want any coal to be left for our grandchildren. So, here goes... :)


Having your own printer
One of the more inconvenient parts of being abroad- my printer is sitting unhelpfully several thousand miles away, which means that I have to use the copy center at school (just like everyone else). Having to pay per page for anything you print is certainly a wake up call as to how many useless things I print each week! Overall, though, I'm sure I'm saving money, not buying ink or a printer or paper. And as an added bonus, I'm creating far less paper waste this semester than at any other point in my life!

Public Transit

I can't say enough about Madrid public transit. Think DC Metro, but 100% safer, better lit, and cleaner. Everyone takes public transit here- it's reasonably priced, prompt, and very safe. My host family doesn't even have a car here! It's good to know that something I would use out of convenience also reduces my negative impact on the environment.

Disposable eating things, and eating on the go
,
If you're looking for a plastic spoon in Spain, good luck! Aside from the American invaders, such as McDonald's, Starbucks, or Ben & Jerry's, it's fairly impossible to buy food-to-go in take out containers. All restaurants and cafes, and I mean all, use normal dishes that are washed in between uses. Initially, this is a huge pain as you realize there just isn't a way to grab a coffee to take to class, but eventually, you come to terms with the fact that if you want to eat something you're going to have to sit down and spend five minutes not running around. In Spain, eating is something to be enjoyed. Why would you waste the pleasure of eating and chatting with a friend just because you don't want to sit still for five minutes?

Hot Water
Haha... this one is a long story. Basically our hot water heater broke and we've been heating hot water on the stove for bucket-baths. Not the most ideal of circumstances, but at the very least it's taught me that I don't need hot water each time to wash my hands, or even to wash my face in the morning. The moral of this isn't no hot water so much as only when really needed. For instance, I won't be complaining if/when the repairman ever shows up to give us warm showers again! :)

Electricity
Again, this is a "less is more" category. In Spain (and the rest of Europe), electricity is a very expensive commodity. This translates into only one or two outlets in the whole cafeteria, only ten or so in the library outside of the computer lab, and very few in the airports. Also, my host mom will only have lights on in one room at a time- sometimes we crash into each other traversing a dark hallway! Not having power-on-demand has renewed my appreciation for the awesome blessing that electricity is, and has renewed my commitment to being a good steward of it. (Yes, Dad, this means I will try to keep lights on at home to a minimum!)

Ciao...
:) LJ

No comments:

Post a Comment