
Street performers do some pretty tricks for cars at a red light...
and then terrifyingly walk in between the cars asking for money! Eek!
Really, everyone should study abroad, if only for the exquisite experience of learning to roll with the punches and laugh at yourself! My first Sunday in Madrid was full of such adventures... first of all, I went to church on top of a supermarket. At least, that's what I thought Marile (my host mom) said... go to the supermarket, climb the stairs all the way to the top, and there's a church. Really, it turns out, the church is next to the supermarket... but it was a funny experience, nonetheless. Then, as soon as I got home, Marile sat me down and kept saying, "eat, eat, eat! We have to get going to go to the restaurant!" Now, I know Spain is a strange place, but c'mon... eating before you go to a restaurant? But I was certain that's what she was saying! As it turns out, we were going to the "rastro", which is not slang for "restaurante" as I had inferred. But still, it's an interesting and formative experience, only understanding 50% of what's going on around you!

A booth covered in bright scarves and pretty jewelry
What is a "rastro" after all, you might be asking? Only Europe's most amazing weekly flea market! If you live in DC, think Eastern Market on steroids. If you haven't been to Eastern Market, first of all go, and then when you come back to continue reading this post, think of a street 7 city blocks long, and many of the intersecting blocks, completely closed off to cars and filled with tents and booths selling scarves, incense, handmade leather purses... so many wonderful things! As always, I was struck by the number of American things on sale... there were whole booths of Americana such as Marilyn Monroe t-shirts and James Dean posters. Nonetheless, the Rastro is the epitome of the Spanish open-air market- in Spain each neighborhood still has a similar (but much smaller!) mercadillo once a week where locals can purchase fresh produce, clothing, and other trinkets. As long as you keep a very tight hold on your valuables, there are few things more Spanish or more pleasant than strolling through La Latina on a Sunday, admiring the wares.

I tried to convey the immensity of the size of the Rastro, or the overwhelming
press of people...
but you'll just have to come see it for yourselves!

My lovely purchases for the day... thanks to Lucy I bargained the price of the book down!
It is both the oldest book I own and the oldest book I have ever touched!
It is both the oldest book I own and the oldest book I have ever touched!
No comments:
Post a Comment