A little while ago, I spent my Friday at El Escorial, the tomb of a large part of the Spanish royal family. (That's right. Be jealous. No class on Fridays!) In typical Spanish style, a mere "tomb" wouldn't do, so El Esorial is actually part palace, part basilica, and part burial chamber. I had gone by myself but met up on the train by chance with a group of American students from my university, which made everything much more fun!
Let's put this in perspective, please. This is just the palace that they built to bury people in, and I'm pretty sure it's way bigger than the White House! Part of the reason Spain has so many impressive edifices is because at critical points in history (aka the Renaissance), Spain was the giddy recipient of endless amounts of riches pouring in from the Americas. A poor deal for South America, but a bonus for the average visitor!

The imposing entrance into the cathedral. Since some of the elderly monarchs came here to spend their final days, there are balconies from the royal chambers into the cathedral, so the king and queen could attend Mass from their sick beds.
As a general note, it will consistently be difficult for me to take photos inside the buildings I visit here. Both to maintain the mystery of their national treasures and to protect paintings and sculpture from the corrosive effects of camera flash, photos are strictly prohibited practically all the time. Unlike most countries, however, this rule is actually enforced here... the number of guards in every single museum is fantastic! And I'll admit it, I'm scared of them! So, sorry, but no inside photos for you!
You'll just have to take my word that it was magnificent. The stairway to the library had a fresco on the ceiling depicting heaven, and the way it was painted you would swear that the people were alive and really moving upwards into the sky! The room with the coffins of the kings was a sight, also- a small hexagonal room with green marble caskets labeled in golden Roman letters. But you know, it was really all just par for the course in terms of Spanish opulence and decoration!

By far the coolest part of the day was exiting the palace to find a rainbow!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment