Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Post for a Special Reader

While sitting in the cafe on campus today, I couldn't help but notice an interview going on nearby. Three people were seated at a table, one asking questions, one responding, and the third signing furiously into her partner's hand. You see, the man being interviewed was blind and deaf- just like Helen Keller. It was absolutely fascinating to watch this interview take place- communication barriers notwithstanding, all three were laughing and having a nice time. I'm pretty sure the man was even able to respond audibly, even though he apparently couldn't hear. It was inspiring!

Anyway, I knew one of my (10-year old, brown haired, clarinet playing) readers would really enjoy hearing about this, because this man had his seeing eye dog with him! This particular reader loves dogs, and I can't help but think of her when I see them all over the city! In Spain the dogs are so well trained that most of them don't have leashes, even when other dogs are present. Wouldn't it be neat to train a seeing eye dog? What a wonderful thing to do for someone in need! I'm sure the beautiful golden retriever that I saw today was this man's best friend, always there to help him and keep him company!

No comments:

Post a Comment