Tuesday, February 2, 2010

For the Record, It Was a Pina Colada

So... in case you haven't heard, I'm 21!!! Yipee!!! (Does this mean I get to sit at the adult table at family parties? Hmmm.) Thank you to all for the many well-wishes I received- it was a wonderful day!


There we are! 21 and ready to go!!! Re: the straight hair- my host mom is a hair dresser!
How cool!


First of all, my lovely friend Lucy took me salsa dancing, and Madrid did not disappoint!!! Salsa really is a Latin American thing, but there are so many immigrants here from Latin America that the dance is alive and well. I started the evening off with a Pina Colada, and defend my choice by saying that if you had to ask for a drink in a foreign language, you would agree to the first thing the bartender said, too! Besides, it seems an appropriately Spanish thing to drink, and I am in Spain, after all. :)

Anyway, if the downside to being American tourists is that you're always getting pick-pocketed [current phone score: gypsies 2, AYA girls 11 (Shelley gets 1 for the phone and 10 for style, but that's another story)], then the upside is that people ask you to dance very quickly! So one my 21st birthday I danced with a young Columbian man, whose name I don't know... this sounds like a country song! But it really was lovely, and Lucy even danced with the super-attractive promoter... ai ai!!!


Lucy and I, all decked out and ready to SALSA!

My host family generously celebrated my big day by buying and cooking an entire half of lamb. I woke up on Saturday, and Javier (host dad) was just chillin' in the kitchen with the poor lamb next to him, legs and ribs and bones and all. But I must say it was delicious, and I felt very honored! My host mom made cheese cake with Phildelphia cream cheese for the Philadelphia girl. You know how in the US everyone associates Scranton with "The Office"? Well, here they associate Philadelphia with the cream cheese. Odd, but whatever! Marile (host mom) also made fried shrimp, and salad (a big deal... Spaniards don't eat salad) and ham and cheese and bread... so good!

Well, I'm off to go drink sangria. Be jealous, oh my under-21 year old friends... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment