I apologize for the lapse in posting, but you know, unlike the snow-laden Eastern USA we actually go to class on this side of the Atlantic! (All week long you gloated, my CUA friends, but who has the last laugh now! Class on a Saturday! Ha!)

Classic Picasso, "CUA Student Upon Reading the Provost's Calendar Changes"
So, on the subject of school...
I attend class at Carlos III, which is a really sweet University. I am in a program of about 100 US students, and our classes are taught in Spanish. It's a nice compromise- the professors only speak Spanish, but they know from the glazed look in our eyes we have no idea what they're saying, so they speak more slowly than normal Madrilenos. :) I'm taking classes about the history, economics, language and culture of Spain.
I find my language class especially helpful. My professor has been teaching this class for 8 years, and it's basically a "what Americans say in Spanish" v. "what Spaniards say in Spanish" class. For instance, if you say "I'll see you tomorrow" in Spanish, most people would think you were threatening them, "I'll be watching you!!!" Instead you say something along the lines of "we see each other tomorrow," etc. Also, apparently table manners are very different here. Momma always taught me to thank the cook, but in Spain to do so puts social distance between you and the cook. Ie, if you thank your host mom for dinner, it's like saying that it's surprising that she made you dinner, which is kind of an insult, because of course she would make you dinner... etc etc etc. The class is really entertaining and super helpful! It's definitely mi favorito!
Just like most Spanish universities, Carlos III is a commuter school. It's rare for someone to travel outside of their city to get a degree here. For the record, my hat is off to you, Beth/Bobby/Maria, for any and all commuting you ever did! On Mondays and Wednesdays I have 6.5 hours of class, and the last thing I want to do is catch 2 buses to trek across the whole city! Hopefully when it gets warmer the commute won't seem so daunting. You all lied, you know. It's JUST AS COLD here as in the US!!! No balmy weather on the horizon at all! In fact, tomorrow it's supposed to be around 30'F when I leave the house. And no snowballs to throw at anyone...
Well, I'm off! Enjoy plowing out of Snopocalypse 2010! See you all soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment